Tuesday, January 9, 2024

 James Taylor's Beckford Station, Coal office, to be saved



Happily, I have at last, had a result over the acquisition of James Taylor's former Beckford Coal, Brick and Tile office, approx 150 years old.

It is about 40 years since I made my original inquiry, I noticed the building had been cleared as an oil store and is due for demolition.
It is a quirky building displaying,many features of the Victorian era,it sitting on a small footprint of simple wooden construction ,with a brick chimney and tiled roof (probably supplied by J Taylor) access is super and should be easy to dismantle,
If my memory is right, I remember seeing the original signwriting on the exterior before it was painted brown, I am hoping to get a team together to return it to The Rats HQ, or if ideas for a permanent location could be considered that could be good.,
One view I have is that it could add to the new Usk bay and diorama, at Winchcombe, as another asset for the public to access, and enjoy.
Lyndon Knott, who moved the Monmouth Troy building stone by stone to Winchcombe is eager to be involved, and anyone interested in becoming involved with our restoration work can get in touch with me Greg Wigg, on 07917666040






No comments:

Post a Comment

 Thursday the 8th of May and sumner has arrived so T shirt weather.  Taylors office new wood required a coat of dark stone as the white unde...